Monday, November 30, 2009

Sarah's Spotlight - Vilt A LaKim

I've decided to take a break from talking about myself! I plan to offer my Spotlight feature on a regular basis, hopefully weekly, to showcase all the great artists on Etsy! It's truly amazing to see all the different types of artwork and creativity produced by artisans and crafters worldwide!

My first spotlight freatures Vilt A La Kim.
You can visit Kim's shop at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/viltalakim. Kim uses the wet felt technique to make her items. She provides a great overview of the this technique and also offers a website for those who wish to learn more about it: http://www.gfwsheep.com/felting/felt.html.

As a knitter, I am familiar with felting wool and presumed Kim meant this technique when she referred to wet felting. I was fascinated to learn about the wet felting process and realized how different it is than the felting process with which I am familiar. Kim says it can take 3-4 hours to fully felt an object! That's dedication!

I first stumbled upon Kim's shop when looking for items for a treasury. I instantly fell in love with all the great items she has to offer. Of course, I had to add her to my favorites, and I was surprised to hear back from her saying I was her 400th fan! She sent me a surprise as a thank you. Today I received felted soap. I was a little dubious at first, but Kim had attached a note saying to use it just like real soap. My little felted soap produced some great suds, and my hands are nice and clean typing up this blog! Needless to say, I was certainly impressed - by both receiving a thank you and by the felted soap itself!

The pictures posted here are only a small sample of Kim's lovely artwork. She has given a link to her Flickr page in her profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16449646@N06/sets/72157616439337206/.

Be sure to stop by Vilt A La Kim to check our this great store!

1 comment:

  1. Wow thank you very much for this superb article!!!
    I have finally found some time to write about it too, at my blog:
    http://viltalakim.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-strat-of-new-day.html

    ReplyDelete